Apr 25, 2011

To Serve and Protect

Mooch Gets Handcuffed & Threatened by Police

May 24th – Tuesday – 1:25pm
I arrived at a gas station in town to fill up before I go to Hollywood to check my PO Box. I see a homeless guy sitting against the gas station’s store building off to the side, away from the front doors. I also saw him in the same spot yesterday when I was getting gas, but police came onsite, spoke to him for a few minutes then told him to leave. So today I decide to introduce myself and offer him something to drink. He told me his name is Kurt, and he’d like a coke.

I go inside to pay for gas and 2 cokes. I walk outside and see the same two cops talking to Kurt as he sits down against the building. As promised, I handed Kurt a coke, then handed him the second one since I assumed the police were going to be talking to him for a bit longer. I had planned to sit with him and enjoy a coke together, and learn about where he goes and what he does.
As I walk back to my car to pump gas, I hear one of the cops say, “hey Kurt, let me see that.” While pumping gas, I look over towards Kurt and I don’t see the cokes or black bag anywhere. After a few seconds of looking in his direction, one of the cops walks up to me and says the following;
“Next time you see a police officer talking to a suspect, don’t walk between them and interfere or you will be detained.”
I said, “What? What suspect?”
Officer J. Wismar repeated, “I could detain you right now for interfering with a suspect.”
“Wow, you really don’t like homeless guys do you?”
“Come here, I’m going to detain you. Come over here.”
“What? What about my gas?”
“Leave it, walk over here to the patrol car.”
“Wow, what an asshole.” I said under my breath, loud enough for him to hear. I wasn’t thinking, I simply called him an asshole because he was detaining me for no logical reason and wasting my time with his intimidation act. This is where Officer J. Wismar told me to put my hands behind my back, put me in handcuffs, and placed me into the back of his patrol car.
I couldn’t believe what had just taken place. I wanted to get to know Kurt and offer him a coke, now I am being put in a patrol car, handcuffed, while cops look through my car. Both Wismar and his partner looked through my windows for a few minutes. If my doors were unlocked, would they have opened them and fondle through all my stuff?
After 10 minutes of sitting in the back of the patrol car; which by the way is made out of plastic, very uncomfortable. I never knew this because I have never been thrown back there before. Officer Wismar helped me out of the car, took off the handcuffs and told me to sit down on the stoop, same place Kurt was only moments earlier.
For the next several minutes Officer Wismar explained to me that he could arrest me right then for interfering with a suspect. I tell him all I wanted to do was give the guy a coke, then you detain me for calling you an asshole, how is that illegal? His partner asks me for my phone number, my city of birth, and my employer. Yes, I answered his questions, and as soon as I state I am a security officer for a nearby apartment complex, Wismar interrupts and says he patrols those apartments all the time. Then he asks me flat out, “What would you say if I went down to the apartment manager and told her you called us assholes and were interfering with our job?”
“Did you just threaten my job?” I asked. He said he’s not going to do it, but he could. And explained further that being a security officer, I should have more respect and consideration for police officers.
So, what should I do? Should I make a complaint? Should I take this as a learning experience and become further intimidated by the police? What would you do?
Keep in mind my current situation. I will surely see either Wismar or other police officers at my job as a security officer, and possibly while I’m asleep in my car somewhere in town. If I cause any trouble, they can do the same for me, which in turn will undoubtedly affect my business, my job, and where I’m allowed to sleep.
Below, you may view the fresh photos I took of my wrists taken immediately after the fact, and watch the video I posted only minutes after I was let go.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F82lNZVDxOc

No comments:

Post a Comment