Apr 2, 2011

Shelters

Shelters

When I became homeless on the streets. I didn't know where to go or whereto turn. I asked someone if there was a shelter around here and there was. When I finally found it , It was already full for the night. I slept outside on a picnic table that I came across, lucky for me it was covered because it rained.
I was told the next day to come back at  4:00pm get in line wait and hope when my turn comes up that a bed ( cot ) is still available. It wasn't. I was told I could use the shower between 8:00am- 10:00am if I sign up on the list for it. first come first served but you have to be on the list and if you don't show up your privilege will be suspended ( I never did find out how long the suspension was ). The good thing is they serve lunch 10:30am-12:00   mon-fri.  The bad thing is they can only serve 130 meals by city code or law. That meal has kept me alive I'm sure because sometimes I only eat once every two days. I lost ten pounds in the last month I feel tired and scrawny.
The food they feed you is donated . It could be better, food on the verge of spoiling, bread that's just short of growing mold . I hope you like rice and beans. water to wash it down with and a wilted salad. I'm only saying this because you wonder where the money goes that people donate . the churches give to the food pantrys and soup kitchen . direct donations. etc. Believe me I am grateful but getting something to eat you wouldn't serve the family dog just isn't right When I have enough money to buy McDonalds dollar items. I'm in tastebud heaven. So that is why I camp .
Counselling amounts to telling you to apply for food stamps. job hunting advice goes like this "fill out ten apps. a day then bug them every day until they give you a job." It also helps to be accountable to someone so you can check in with me once a week and I'll go over your job search with you. Really Thanks! Are you telling me that if I stay in my tent that a man isn't going to come up to me telling me that he's handing out city, state, federal, jobs with high pay and full benefits WOW I thought that's how it worked thanks for the great advice. ( a little sarcastic I know ) but that's the help they give you or have you tried going down to the job office? Duh, they have those? Not to mention infection, disease , thieves , gossips and busybody's.


Sorry but shelters suck big time.
                             TILL NEXT TIME.......

1 comment:

  1. "...you wonder where the money goes that people donate" ~ it is the reason I prefer to give directly to homeless people. Charities that serve homeless and poor, say not to, that the money will go for drugs or booze. Yet I know that administration costs eat up a lot of those donations, and as you mentioned, "wilted lettuce...".

    ReplyDelete