May 24, 2011

Veteran Status

Veteran  Status

I wasn't going to reveal my veteran status , but on mulling it over I decided it is important information . It may be that it could help a fellow vet. I am honorably  discharged from the U.S. Army. I was a tank gunner. The greatest accomplishment of my life was to come in second at level one gunnery. This is the superbowl of tank gunnery. Live fire with pop up targets on a drive through course. I had all first round hits , only one other tank crew out of the whole European theatre matched my feat. I was two seconds slower on the stabalization target than the other crew. On this engagement the turret is supposed to stay trained on the target no matter where the tank itself is pointing . ( gyro ) however it bounces , wobbles etc. extreamly difficult shot while the tank is moving. I got it. TARGET , TARGET came over the radio from the observation tower. excitment beyond belief. That's all I want to say  about the military. I did go to the Veterans Adminisration and speak with a councellor. I wanted a primary Doctor's appointment to see if I could get some vitamins and a new pair of glasses. No problem how does September sound ( 6 months away ) . Then I asked about the domicillary ( a sort of respite for vets that helps with addiction and training supposedly ) Sure no problem just get to Orlando FL. and apply in person , bring your dd214 ( discharge papers ) which I acually have , but most vets don't. Then we can likely get you in . The waiting list is only  4 months at present. I realized the only logical thing for me to do is pound pavement and get a job , stand on my own two feet and keep my freedom . Fellow Vets can look into these programs for themselves , they have dom's all over the U.S. Hint: It is better if you tell them you have substance abuse issues even if you don't , that will get you indoors much faster. Do it before winter arrves or you will not get a bed . 6  months comitment is a requirement , rules out the wazoo. three hots and a cot and some sort of recreation therapy is offered ( movies , bowling , arts and crafts , or whatever ) You will have to take many classes and submit to random drug and alcohol checks. Give it a try if you don't mind a big boot on your neck. Veterans services is totally hyped up and painted rosy.

                               TILL NEXT TIME.........

No comments:

Post a Comment